Friday, August 7, 2015

Five for Friday: August 7.

Time for my link up with Doodlebugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky!  I can't believe it's the end of the week already - yikes! These last few weeks of summer are going so quickly!



We had a goodbye, going away dinner for a friend this week as she moves onto a new adventure in another city!  She was a second year teacher in 3rd grade when I started my position at my current school- her and one of my other really good friends from college and I formed a "Teaching Trio" and we really helped each other out throughout that tough first year, and were huge support systems.  She's moving to Minnesota to teach in an inner city school and she is going to so  well there.  While we're sad to see her move away, I'm so excited (and a bit jealous!) for her new team and kiddos that get to have her! 


I added a few new products to my TPT store this week - some writing portfolio covers and some following direction task cards! The writing portfolio covers are pretty simple, but I'm really excited about the task cards!
At the beginning of the year, I am so exhausted and have way more patience to work and help students follow directions with my guidance, but mid year, I get really tired of repeating directions 100 times. Anyone else hear me?  So, I created these following direction picture and task cards to implement at the beginning of the year and help my nuggets become independent direction followers early on.  These are also incredibly helpful for my English Language Learners that come into our school (though rare, they do come through!) to help them feel successful.


I have been creeping on Dragonflies in First and her weekly digital planner for lesson planning and decided this morning at our local coffee shop - after reading countless blogs and looking at other options - to take the plunge.  I really like to handwrite my calendars and yearly plans but my weekly lesson plans I always type.  And usually, I have to custom make my own table with word and it's a nightmare at the beginning of the year, and can I be honest I HATE IT. It's so time consuming. So I downloaded it today and purchased it on her TPT store, and am really excited to use it this year. I like that you can import your standards to easy access, make things clickable for easy viewing, and print it onto a page or two.  I don't usually make my lesson plans really detailed unless it's for a sub (or it's the beginning of the year) so this was perfect - and so versatile!  I'm planning on doing a blog entry about it when I get it up and going and some tricks that I find while I make it happen. Stay tuned!


I worked a little in my classroom this week, and created these cute lap desks for my writers this year with leftover, unused ones from my mother-in-law.  You can check out my blog post on them over here. They turned out great and I think my students are going to love them for writing workshop.


One of the many things I discovered after starting to date my husband was that Ace Hardware sells amazing and bomb Colorado Peaches.  Ace Hardware - I KNOW!  But, they are really good and they have them come in in different shipments when they are fresher than fresh.  Last week the hubs was getting frustrated with me because I kept forgetting to get over there to order some - and if I'm being honest, there is no excuse for me not getting over there because we live literally a mile away from one but I digress - I headed over there earlier this week, got some ordered, and they arrived for pick up today.  Guys, I've already had 3.  And one cut up in my water infuser bottle. Call me crazy but they are the peaches of heaven. 

Link up and tell us 5 things about your week! Until next time.




2 comments:

  1. I love those following directions cards. I can see the need for those for sure! And those lap desks came out really cute. I wish I had been that productive this week! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks so much for stopping by! It's so fun to get a comment from someone I've been following on Instagram for so long!! Have a great year!

      Delete