Sunday, September 21, 2014

Squealing & Predictions

If think that the weekend goes faster and faster when your a teacher.  Yesterday I was waking up and breathing in crisp Saturday morning air, and didn't have anything pressing to do.  This morning was about the same - got some things done around the house (laundry, cleaning, meal prep, you know - the wife things). We had a leadership meeting tonight at our church for a few hours and now I am convinced that when you are a teacher your weekends go by faster than anyone else.  I'm feeling the Sunday Night dread as I watch some football on the couch and play with my sweet puppy.

Anyways, enough of my whining - this week in 103 we did so many things and our week went by fabulously!  I love my kids personalities and what they challenge me to do everyday as a teacher.  I love their hearts, hugs, individuality, and creativity.  I could brag about them all day.  Since last week we were really struggling with describing characters, we took another week to work on it.  We watched short movies of our favorite characters to help us better describe characters using inside and outside traits.

I am a sucker for Franklin.  I loved him as a kid and think he teachers some really good lessons to kids in short little clips that they can understand and my kids adore him.  We watched one about Franklin's big soccer game and then we had to describe Franklin with a partner.  I got the worksheet from Peterson's Pad by coincidence when I was searching for graphic organizers.  My kid used this all week and all I had to do was switch out the picture in the middle.  At the end of the week they had to describe Piggy or Elephant (they could choose) and they actually did really well - hooray my teacher heart!  Next week we will work on being a good citizen and describing major events.  I am really trying to integrate my science/social studies and reading time since I do not have a separate scheduled science or social studies in the day.  It's been working good so far and it's nice to really focus and dig into two topics at one time.

We've been doing lots of work with bullying and being a good friend in our classroom - watching videos and reading books to help us understand what bullying is, and what we can do when we need to help our friends.  Our counselor came in this week to give us a little lesson on "Not Squealing Unless it's a Big Deal".  She read the kids a funny and cute little book, and used a puppet to help us talk about when is a good time to get a teacher for a problem, and when it's just a kid problem that they could try and work out together.  Bullying is such a hard concept in first grade - I've really been emphasizing the difference between a "disagreement" with a friend - something that happens every once in a while with the same or different people, and "bullying" which is repeated each day by the same person.  Since it's something our school really emphasizes at the beginning of our school years, I'm happy to help my kids understand it better.

We also added predicting to our CAFE wall this week - and we got really good at making prediction sentences during our Read to Self time in Daily 5 and with a partner during Read to Someone.  We used many books to help us and did little activities with pictures and animals to help us make prediction sentences. Here is the poster we made together to help us with sentences when predicting!

Next week I'll be sharing more about our citizenship and major events in reading!  I'm off to do some creating for the classroom and to look around TPT.  I love buying products from people I know!  My really great friend Kayla started her blogging and TPT journey with me this summer.  We've been friends since we were in 2nd grade and even though she lives in Texas and I here, we are still super close.  I'm so thankful for her!  She posted a new product today that I am excited to head over and buy for my littles.  You should check out her store here, and her blog here! She's fabulous.

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment