Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Bulletin Boards & BUILD

Today was day one of getting back at it - wahoo!  I spent a good amount of time in there organizing and trying to get a few things set up - it's so hard to focus on just one item in the classroom when there are SO many things I want to get done.

So here was where I started - the janitors had just finished cleaning my room a few days ago so it was fresh out of being newly cleaned. I came in and knew I wanted to get at least my bulletin boards redone today - I made a few pennant banners and wanted to double border them and make them more lively.  I ended up literally jumping from end to end to end and trying to get something done.  Next time, I need to make like a "to do" list for each section of the room and stick to doing one thing. That being said I am in love with my bulletin boards.  They are really great with the banners and I love the double banners. Here's a cool tip - instead of buying two borders, I just bought one and then added some cheap ribbon from hobby lobby.  The orange one needs to be finished still - I ran out of ribbon. Go me. I'm using the math talk wall for all of our math vocabulary words and strategies that come up - my computer is a bit in front of it but it's not an interactive board so I think it'll be okay.  My new "desk" area is just a table now and I have never been happier with the choice to get rid of my big clunky desk.  The calendar wall will hold our days of the week, date writing, and weather mapping.  I have to go out and find a better calendar - mine is pretty beat up. I love the banners and headers for the boards though.


This one is in the back of the room with my easel and right outside the library.  I think I'll like having our strategy board so close to the easel where we do so much reading strategy work.  All of the banners that you see can be purchased in my TPT store in the next couple days after I finish them up. There are ones for math, calendar, reading, writing, CAFE, focus wall, and quite a few others.  Check back in a few!





I decided after bouncing around from spot to spot to really focus on the front of my room today - in my little "math zone" area.  I made the number line which is way better than the one I had before because we do so much 10 frame work so it'll be quite beneficial for my nuggets.  My BUILD math center zone is right below our SMARTboard - this will be where my nuggets pick their math zone for the day and they'll place their little letter tile on there. I got the little magnetic boards at IKEA and then am just making the tiles with things from Hobby Lobby.


My whiteboard will hold the kiddos jobs and our morning routine and schedule - I don't really use my whiteboard that much except with math and to write the date.  Otherwise I'm a big user of my SMARTboard and our easel.  I went to our teacher store in town yesterday and found this "magnetic border" which I am in love with - to separate off areas of the whiteboard for different ideas. The shelf below will hold our math BUILD baskets that they students can use when they go to each station.
This is how I left my classroom.  Yikes.  I had to walk out because it was so cluttered and messy and I was getting overwhelmed.  I still have a month or so before teachers have to be back so I have time - today I'm THANKFUL for time in there to really spend organizing and making it the best it can be. Check back for the full reveal in a few weeks! Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment